Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Homage, Surface

sur·face

(n.) : the upper layer of an area of land or water

on the surface
:  to all outward appearances
sur
: over; above; beyond
face
archaic :  presence, sight
It has been so cold, the brook and mountain streams I walk along are all frozen.

As I walked today, I tried to locate the right piece of ice to place my "homage altar" upon, and thought a little bit about the word surface.

I realized that on any given day, in any given relationship, or activity, or location, there are two, or more, realities: what is happening on the surface, and what is happening below the surface--which could involve many levels.

Even as a young child I have always known this. When I went about my day, entering places, relating to others, I always noticed what appeared to be happening on the surface and what was going on  just below the surface. Mood, tone, body language, facial expression, calm, or disarray, registered just as easily as what was being spoken, or presented.

This is the plight of sensitive people, I guess, we rarely live on the surface, instead we dwell just below, which separates us, ever so slightly, from what seems to be going on in the moment.

 It took me a while, but recently, I realized, life is much richer here, just below the surface.


"Look beneath the surface: never let a thing's intrinsic quality or worth escape you."
{Marcus Aurelius}