Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Review of Nothing


In January of 2013 I wrote about my yearly ritual of choosing a new word for the new year. The word becomes my yearly theme. The year prior, I had chosen self-love, and I had created a heart each Monday as an homage to the theme. It was a year of art and writing.

I had trouble choosing my word/theme for 2013, and after much contemplation, I realized the word would be "nothing."

Nothing took on many connotations over the past year. Sometimes it was no-thing, as in I did not need to focus on any particular thing, instead, whatever came up was exactly what I needed to focus on.

Nothing helped me to lessen my obligations; I did not hold myself to any particular projects, or make schedules set in stone. Nothing allowed me to be more present and my heart went to the places it needed to, even without a defined focus.

Nothing brought a tireless push to see my brother through his year of cancer treatment for stage 3 colorectal cancer. Nothing brought a new job: tutoring in the public school system, returning me to my once beloved position of teacher. So, see, nothing brought plenty anyway.

Nothing made me feel a little more secure in following my instincts.


“We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.”  
{Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace}
 



|