Monday, January 28, 2013

Dream Catcher Soup


I was rambling around the grocery store, my heart, but not my head, really in it, trying to 'discover' what would be for dinner. I wanted to find something suitable for my family, as well as my neighbor, and my brother's family, all with different tastes and requirements. I was hoping to come up with a soup, but could not think on my feet. I whipped through the freezer section and blew by some frozen tortellini and almost got a little motivated, but couldn't formulate a healthy version in my head. I walked to the end of the isle but then did an abrupt about face and headed for the glass door with the tortellini behind it, drawn to it for some reason. (I have a gluten allergy so am not supposed to eat pasta.)

As I arrived I noticed a woman with a salt and pepper hair in a bun standing directly in front of my door. I sidled up next to her and slipped the door open as she seemed to glance to the next door. Furtive, I grabbed a bag of tortellini, pondering briefly whether it should be meat-filled or cheese-filled when she looked at me and said, "I put those in a delicious soup I make." My stress melted away as she faced me and looked me in the eye as she spoke, giving me each of her soup ingredients, and telling me when to add them.

Of course I knew this woman had been sent to me, but the best part was when she told me she made the soup for pow wows and that she also made dream catchers and moccasins. She was Native American! How cool is that? I hope I bump into her again, but in the meantime I have her soup to feast on. And everyone who has tasted it told me they liked it.

Dream Catcher Soup

One bag of frozen tortellini (meat or cheese filled)
One bag of frozen stir fry vegetables
One 32. oz. carton of beef broth
One package of beef stew meat
One chopped onion
1/4 cup of tomato sauce

Saute the chopped onion in some olive oil. Cut up stew meat into bite size pieces and add to translucent onions. Add a cup of beef broth and the 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, simmer for an hour to break the beef down. Add the bag of veggies and the rest of the broth. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, add tortellini, simmer for 10-20 more minutes. (I can take a cup of soup out for me, before adding the tortellini.) Serve.