Friday, August 10, 2012

Every Child Is An Artist

"Every child is an artist--the problem is staying an artist when you grow up" -Pablo Picasso

"Sisters" (1967)
When I was a child of four, or five, I had a set of Golden Book encyclopedias I shared with my sister. The books were gifted to us from our dear aunt, who at the time was about sixteen or seventeen; she would later to go on to be a teacher.

I soon discovered that many, not all, of the encyclopedias had a blank white page in the beginning of the book. It felt like another gift to me, a secret gift, and each page called me to draw on it.

Again, the books became a gift when I rediscovered these drawings while sharing the encyclopedias with my students years later, after I became a teacher.

Recently I took them out again, remembering the drawings were in there, wanting to catch a glimpse of my five year old self, almost 45 years later. It's funny, I still feel the same.

Glancing at the drawings, labeled with my sister's name on the left, and mine on the right (above), I imagined I was drawing us as princesses, but when I went to write this little post, I recalled something about the photos--they were not princesses I had drawn--they were queens. I've always had a thing for queens.



"There is no use trying, said Alice; one can't believe impossible things. I dare say you haven't had much practice, said the Queen. When I was your age, I always did it an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." {Lewis Carroll}