Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday's Heart 3, Self Love

The Door to my heart opens inward. I move through forgiveness to love. 
I give myself the gift of freedom from the past, and move with joy into the now.
-Louise Hay

When I wrote these words in my first post of the new year: This year I chose the word love for my theme because I thought that by handling every encounter, every issue, every person that comes my way, from the point of view of love, I will just be in win-win situations all year long. I knew that I would be challenged to follow them. Each week since writing this story, the challenges have presented themselves.

I got through the first challenge fine, I quickly reminded myself to come from the place of love and it worked.

Then soon after, when the next challenge came, I found I wasn't feeling the love. I think the difference was the first time I directed the love to myself, the second time I was feeling guilty like I needed to do something loving for another, but had forgotten to add myself to the equation. I have to remember, first have self-love, then the love will spill out toward others. When I only do for others, at exclusion of self, then it's not going to work out. In my story I wrote these words also: But most of all I realized that I needed to give a particular person my love, a person I had been unkind to more often than I would like to recall, a person who I had trouble forgiving, a person who seemed worthy in theory, yet always turned up last on the list, hardly ever gotten to: me.

Here's to self-love first.