Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Reflecting on Empty

Funny things kept happening today. I would set out to do one thing and wind up doing another.

First, I was heading to my yoga class when I ran out of gas. I was only feet from my home, going up a hill; normally I would have taken a flat road but there was construction, being on the hill allowed me to turn around and coast back to my driveway. My coasting power ended right at my garage door.

My dog was pleased that I returned home, this meant he got his walk all the earlier. Yoga class would have lead to an appointment and then to a walk much later, if I even got one in.

Walking along my familiar path, I reflected on the word empty while admonishing myself for not filling my tank right away when the empty light came on. I kept meaning to, but would run one more errand, and then end up returning home and thinking I would do it 'tomorrow'. By not filling my tank, now I had missed yoga. But instead, I was taking this walk.

So what was the message here? I often tell my son when things don't work out the way he thinks they were meant to, "everything happens for a reason". I try to remind myself this, when I remember it, and I was remembering it now. I realized by allowing my tank to stay empty, I encountered things I might not have, had I been 'full', like coasting perfectly into my driveway.

Then later that day, I went to my appointment only to find out it was for the following week, and I again I found myself with time. This allowed me to go Christmas shopping, something I needed to do, but had not planned on since so much was scheduled into my day. It was luscious having this extra time. I wound up choosing some spontaneous gifts I might not have, had I been pressured for time.

Spontaneous gifts probably come more often than we realize, we just need to make sure our day isn't so full we don't notice them.