Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Unplugging


vator.tv

I awoke this morning and precisely as my eyes popped open I thought, “computer.”  And then I thought, “addicted.” I've considered weaning myself from my computer, but having just started my blog, I am torn. The truth is, I love my laptop; I love reading on it, I love writing on it, and I love using it as a tool of communication. But, there is some truth to me being just a little too plugged in right now.

I wrote about this to one of my closest friends, whom I email regularly, on a busy day dozens of times. We like to share everything that’s going on, and then reassure each other. We figure it is like writing in a diary, only with support.  She wrote back to me of her own experience, “Well, I do feel like I'm mothering a child sometimes, 'You can't check the email till you finish x,y, and z.'"

Then, I got two nice emails this morning. One, from a soon-to-be art student who will be coming to my spring DreamArt class. She bought my Dream Stories book and wanted to share she is enjoying it, particularly the chapter on meditative walking. The other, from a dear friend who sent me this quote from Marianne Williamson, to remind me to forge ahead with my art and dreams. I have met up with some self-doubt and fear recently:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

One of the things I realized is my "e-life" has been a life of connection. My computer has brought me a plethora of information, I reason. It has introduced me to some superb storytelling in the form of personal blogs, I've been reading. It presents gorgeous visuals, such as photographs, and art. I play my favorite music on it. It provides me outstanding teachers in a variety of areas, my favorite being human consciousness. It has been an invaluable place to record my dreams, and now, to share them in this blog.

Then a synchronicity occurred, my laptop shut off on me and I had trouble getting it to reboot. And another, I got a call from a woman interested in coming to my art class, she gave me her phone number for updates, but she does not use a computer.

Sometimes, I think we get just what we need.