Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Beginning

 Winter 2010
 

One day, I brought a little offering on my daily walk, a tiny bundle of dried flowers that held significant meaning for me. I wanted to leave it in a place of nature with the intention to bury the flowers in the snow as a sign of letting go of a particular issue I was having. I knew the right spot would present itself along the way.

Soon, I came to a clearing with a path made of animal tracks. I followed the path across a narrow creek, and stood in little forest of hemlock spruces, delicate and lacy. I noticed a particular hemlock, not very big, its trunk about 8 inches in circumference. Juxtaposed to the hemlock was a slender dead tree, lopped off at the top by some unforeseen circumstance.

I wasn't certain if the young hemlock was the right place for my offering as I had expected to find a large, old tree, but I decided to trust my initial instinct and not let the mind overrule. So, I buried the small pile under the snow, thanked the tiny tree, and left.

On my walk the next day, I figured if I could locate the spot, I would stop and offer more gratitude. I felt the act of letting go had impacted me in a positive way.

Surprisingly, I easily found the path, crossed the creek, and saw the tree. I walked up to it, placed my palm on its trunk, thanked it, and paused. I stood with my eyes closed and absorbed the sounds of nature.

In my mind's eye, a circle appeared, light blue and fuzzy. I kept my eyes closed for a while and noticed, a tiny, brighter circle within the sphere that appeared to be an opening. I focused on it with some effort as it would come and go. From the tiny hole, emerged a light pink heart. Its edges were not perfect, but it most certainly was a heart. I stayed with the heart as long as I could. I began to see what looked like the sky on the other side, through the heart.

Shortly after, the heart disappeared, no trace, just gray in the mind's eye. Elated, I thanked the magical hemlock. I had received its healing message. As I left to walk the narrow path back to the larger path, I was greeted by a large golden retriever. :)

When I returned to the larger walking path, I sent the heart, and its healing message, in a prayer to my friend who was ill. That evening I sent this very story to her hoping she would get a chance to read it. I was surprised to get an email from her moments later:

Dearest K,

Thank you so much for keeping me in your powerful healing thoughts.
I am honored by you & mother nature!

I'm not sure if you have spoken with Colleen, but I have a new update ....
I had a CT scan of my lungs and chest last night at BMC.

The news is not positive, the cancer has spread into both my right & left lungs, I am off my tarceva medication and a couple other ones too.
Women coming from Hospice tomorrow morning.

So I am at a powerful & vulnerable place of knowing my time here is shorter then I expected.....so much to think about, how do I get ready to leave this planet, How do I say so many goodbyes, so many I love you's.....trust, surrender, stay in a love space......

This may sound crazy to you but I know I can share it with you....

Your key you gave me has become a symbol of my next journey, my next life time.
At first I thought it might be my next step here during this life time but as time moves on and this cancer seems to be the vehicle in which I may be leaving this planet, that key is magical and I think it's bringing me to my next journey beyond this one.....and it doesn't scare me.

So thank you!!!
You are a true angel,
Please feel free to share any thoughts you have, visions etc....regarding my cancer journey.

The message of the hemlock now came even more into focus: the pink heart with its window to the sky was showing me an open heart.  My amazing friend, in opening her heart to me, is an embodiment of the healing message of the hemlock. The simple act of placing an intention and being open to messages of healing brings gifts far greater than one can ever imagine... <3

Note: My friend passed three months later on March 5, 2010. I placed a tiny key at the base of the hemlock in honor of her, where it still remains.